Coconut oil and hair Growth?
I think this is a somewhat ambiguous question that should really be split into two separate questions as follows :
There are many that say it can promote regrowth of hair but I kind of doubt that.(sorry Homer ).
Also try to picture this image , all you people applying oil to your bodies as a moisturiser every day. Erm I’m seeing Tim Burtons Planet of the Apes.!!
Now this is different! There are many reports of coconut oil actually preventing hair loss in people.
How does it do it ?
Your body contains glands called sebaceous glands which are situated next to each hair folicle. The gland produce’s an oily waxy substance called sebum. The sebum helps to keep the scalp moist by travelling up the hair folicle to the skins surface.
Now then sebum contains triglycerides and lipids that have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, any of this ringing a bell yet?
Yes that’s right sounds just like our friend coconut oil doesnt it. Coconut oil certainly contains triglycerides and its lauric acid definatley has anti- fungal anti bacterial and antiviral properties and it is definately a proven moisturiser.
So when applied to the scalp Coconut oil acts like sebum and keeps the scalp moist and healthy in turn keeping the folicles of the hair healthy.
Lauric acid, this when applied to the hair and scalp binds with the hairs own proteins and provides protection at the scalp where the roots are and also prevents hair from becoming brittle and breaking.
So there is my answer
Does coconut oil promote hair growth where there is no hair ? I think not
Does coconut oil help prevent hair loss and promote healthy growth ? Absolutely yes.
How do you use coconut oil to prevent hair loss?
Use the best organic virgin coconut oil. You can find it at most health food stores or right here in the nutty coconut store.
1. The oil needs to be in its liquid state so you may need to warm the jar in a little warm water until the oil melts.
2. Next you need to dampen the hair in warm water, do not soak the hair it just needs to feel damp to the touch.
3. You now need to take the oil into your hands and using your finger tips apply to the roots of your hair. now then use as much as is needed to get to all the roots between 1 and 3 tablespoons should be plenty
4. Next you need to give your scalp a good old massage for 5 minutes. You need to massage for this long because it helps with the circulation in your scalp and ensures the the oil is getting right in amongst the hair follicles
5. Cover your hair and leave it in overnight, you could use a towel or a shower cap or just leave it uncovered and use an old pillow case on your pillows.
7. In the morning wash your hair as you normally would but using a shampoo without any harsh sulfates, artificial fragrances, or any toxic ingredients. (All Natural). If you can find a coconut based natural shampoo that would be even better.
8. Repeat this process at least twice a week
That is all you need to do to maintain healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article about coconut oil and hair growth. If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the comments box below.
Why not join the forum on the home page and lets hear about your tips and experiences with coconut oil.
I can be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org