What is a coconut and where does it come from?
It has a smooth trunk and can grow to almost 100 foot tall. The leaves of the tree are feather like and snap of easily which is why the trunk is so smooth.
The coconut palm produces fruit called coconuts. These are not nuts they are drupe.
The coconut floats and hence islands in the tropics are populated because of this type of dispersal of the drupes.
The drupe is made up of three layers.
If you look at the image above you can clearly see the three layers.
1. The exocarp the outer casing
2. The mesocarp this is the hairy fibrous part.
3. The endocarp this is the familiar hard shell.
The inner fleshy white part is the copra.
The name coconut comes from the Spanish word Coco meaning Head or Skull. The reason for this is the three marks on the shell that could be mistaken for looking like a grinning face.
What Can The Coconut Palm And The Coconut Be Used For ?
All of the parts of the coconut palm can be used by us.
In fact people of Polynesia call it “The Tree of life”.
Here are just a few of the uses, the upcoming posts on this website will show you hundreds more !
This is edible and is often dried and used in cooking but is delicious eaten raw.
3. The water from inside the coconut is a refreshing and healthy drink it is a very good source of potassium.
5. The oil has many many health benefits and beauty applications
Just as yourself how many products such as shampoo, conditioner, tanning oil have coconut oil as one of the main ingredients. Loads yeah ?
This is a skill that will take lots and lots of husks and a fair amount of time. The rope when complete though will be extremely strong and last a very long time.
7. The large leaves of the palm can be used to make roofs and shelters
8. The sap is collected and used for many things including making sugar and vinegar.
9. Coconut oil can be used as a bio fuel.
10. The roots of the tree can be used to treat ailments such as diarrhea and other digestive problem.
12. Coconut oil pulling helps to treat bad gums
13. Coconut oil can be used as a toothpaste
14. Coconut oil has antibacterial and well as anti viral properties and has many uses in treating bad skin, dandruff, coldsores and many other conditions.
So now we know a little about the Coconut Tree
We have had a little introduction to its structure and its fruit(drupe) the coconut, where it can be found and just a few of its many many uses.
I Hope you enjoyed this quick getting to know the coconut and hope you will enjoy reading the more detailed articles to come.
Please feel free to comment below